Friday, December 16, 2011

Long Way Down

I'm home sick today with some kind of virus, it started yesterday and knocked me out of commission on my birthday!

I'm taking the opportunity (being couch-bound today) to finally watch Long Way Down, Ewan and Charlie's trip from John O' Groats, Scotland to Cape Town, Africa.  They're not even out of Italy yet and I couldn't be more jealous.

The BMW motorcycles are fantastic, their support team is ridiculously prepared and it just looks amazing.  Their trip makes one of my bucket list goals look tame, but it's still pretty big to me.

I'd like to take a motorcycle on a tour of the US someday when I have the time (and money).  I'd take the northern route to Seattle, then down through Oregon and California to ride the Pacific Coast highway and some canyons.  Then come back via southern route.  I want to see the sights, stop in small towns, not take too many highways and combine camping and hotels.

There's a lot of planning and preparation involved in a trip like that, but I see the guys on advrider doing rides like this all the time.  On the bright side, I have 20 years to hone my riding skills, get the right bike later on and plan for the trip! 

Hopefully, I'll be able to talk the Mrs into joining me one trip, it could get lonely by myself.

Watch Long Way Round first, btw.  Buy it here, it's worth every penny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment