Friday, July 29, 2011

So you want to sell real estate?

There are plenty of books on how to be successful in real estate, or how others succeeded in real estate, but this is something new.  It’s a quick look at the promises, the realities and the meteoric flash that was my real estate career as it hurtled inevitably toward the ground.  It’s what no one will tell you:  this career is expensive, difficult, time-consuming and your probability of real success is minimal.  It is ALL only my opinion.

Overriding themes to this diatribe:


I’m sarcastic.  If you can’t read sarcasm in writing, this may be difficult for you.


I hate idiots….and the world of residential real estate if full of them.

They hate you.  This refers to everyone….I’ll explain later.

Why Did I Make This Leap?


Because I’m dumb.


My story:  I went to college, got two BS degrees in business and started my career.  I even went back and got an MBA.  I was fairly successful, rising up the corporate ladder for 15 years to run a US division of company based in England, then I got let go.  I decided I hated “Corporate Life” and should do something I would enjoy that didn’t have as much BS.  In retrospect, I should have burned a pile of money in the fireplace, it would have been quicker.  Plus, who doesn’t love a nice fire?


So You Want to be a Real Estate Agent


Good luck.

Here are some tips, from me to you:

Tip 1:

There is a ton of money being made in real estate.  It’s just not going to be made by you.  In truth, much of it is actually going to come FROM you.  The real estate companies themselves make an obscene amount of money in part by churning people through their “programs” and spitting them out with emptier pockets.

Tip 2:

There’s no salary.  Make sure you have enough money in the bank to eat and pay your bills for six months.  And start looking for a real job NOW.  By the time you get it, you’ll be out of money.  I landed a position at a company six months and 1 day from the day of my layoff.  If it wasn’t for Unemployment, I would have been living in a cardboard box waiting for my real estate career to blossom.

Tip 3:

Everyone you know will feign support while questioning the decision and making fun of you.  I’m serious, and you know this already.  You’ve hated every real estate agent you’ve dealt with, didn’t you?

The Interview


You’re hired!

Real estate offices are constantly listing open positions, so it’s easy to get an interview.  Don’t be too nervous, because guess what?  You’re hired.  This isn’t an interview, it’s a pep talk.  You could walk in and urinate in the lobby, you’re probably still hired.

Their ideal agent:  someone who is divorced and miserable, sitting on a pile of alimony cash or an available line of credit, and just needs something to keep them busy.  Next in line:  unhappily married, sitting on a pile of cash or an available line of credit, and just needs something to keep them out of the house and away from their spouse.  If you’re not one of these two, that’s ok – they’ll take you.

Licensing


How do you make things better?  You get the state involved! 

This company that “hired” you will now send you to a training “school” (these are companies that, for a price, teach you all about the real estate industry and help you pass the state required test).  This is 2 weeks of classes that have very little to do with the actual career.

A quick story:  There are laws that say that even though your licensing training is taking place in a Real Estate office, that no one from that office may “recruit” you.  Expect to be recruited.  One of the instructors was a Company X manager and took a special interest in me.  He took me to open houses at expensive homes during the weeks of training, introduced me to everyone in the office, took me to lunches and took me out for beers after the training was over.  The entire time, he talked about how Company Y (who had sent me to this training) was horrible, and why Company X was far superior, and definitely the place for me.  Ethical?  No.  Fun?  Yes. I still went with the company that sent me to the training.

Fees, Fees and More Fees


You didn’t think that was free, did you?

Licensing. 

If you talk to a real estate company before you take the class and get licensed, they’ll pay for the class.  Well, sort of.  They’ll pay for it, then take the fee back out of your first commission.  Wait, who paid for it then?  Yes, you did.  You didn’t think that was free, did you?

The Multi-List System. 

You simply cannot be a real estate agent without access to the MLS.  It must be free right?  No.  Have you been paying attention?

Cardkey. 

You need this to get into any house that’s up for sale.  Yes, you have to pay for it.  And they can’t ship it; you need to drive 30 miles to pick it up.

Associations

The County Realtor Association.  You have to join it.  It costs money…every year.

The State Realtor Association.  You have to join it.  It costs money…every year.

The National Realtor Association.  You have to join it.  It costs money…every year.

Join this organization.  Join that organization.  You’ll get a magazine, and maybe even a pin.  It’s all mandatory, and it all costs money.  Sometimes they have free cookies at the meetings though.

Signs

Small signs, big signs, plastic signs, metal signs, name signs, for sale signs, open house signs.  You have to have them, you have to pay for them, and they cost hundreds of dollars. 

Business cards. 

They’re free!  Well, kind of.  The basic, crappy versions are free, the ones that scream “I’m new to this!”  To get nice ones, with a picture, you have to pay, and you have to pay for the picture.

They’ll pay for your car! 

No, they won’t.  If you’re one of the top 2 producers, and are willing to put a God-awful giant sticker on the sides and back of your (correctly colored) car, they’ll pay a nominal amount to you.  Why shouldn’t they?  It’s the cheapest advertising they could get.

Free trip! 

5 years from now, if you beat ALL the odds, work ridiculous hours and sell everything you get near, you might get a free trip. Don’t hold your breath.

Name tag.

Good news, the name tag is free.  The bad news, you have to wear a name tag.  I knew a gentleman who said “If a man has to wear a name tag during his job, he’s not very successful.”  I thought about him every time I put that name tag on.

The “Realtor” pin. 

This is the most expensive pin you’ll ever hate wearing.

The “Old-Timers”


They hate you.

When I say “old-timers”, I’m referring to the agents that have been working in the office for more than a year.  They will rarely make eye contact at first because they expect you to be gone in a few months and they don’t want to waste their time.  Once you’ve been there for 2 weeks, they’ll start offering you the “opportunity” to sit in their open houses for them.  What they’re actually asking you to do is sit in a house for three hours that no one will visit, and basically sell it for them, on the off-chance that you could get a client out of it.

When there aren’t enough newbies in the office, they’ll fight over your house-sitting efforts, and may even offer you cash (don’t get excited, I’m talking about $20.)  Get paid FIRST, I never did get paid for helping someone out.

By the way, "top producers" use exclamation points!  Lots of them!  In everything they do!  Just an FYI.  I mean:  Just an FYI!!!!

Clients


They hate you.

You will be asked to basically alienate everyone you know and make social situations incredibly awkward by begging for referrals.  Parties, church, school, the gym – anywhere…you need to be fishing for house buyers or house sellers.  It is painfully awkward for all concerned.  Don’t forget to wear the little R pin everywhere you go!

If you’re lucky enough to get someone to say they’ll use you to sell their house, you should know now that their house is worth much more than the one three doors down that is exactly the same.  Why?  I don’t know.  Maybe they’re delusional.  Maybe they’re dumb.  Maybe they’re greedy.  Maybe they’re upside-down on the house.  Maybe they just need the money.  Probably all of the above.

It’s weird to be involved in such a significant financial project for someone you know.   They will use you to buy or sell a house, but no one wants you to know their personal financial business, so it’s hard.  Your friends and family might want little favors, like….they’ll want all their money back.  Yes, seriously.  I had a relative ask if I would give them back all of my commission if they used me to buy a house.  I declined, and her request was probably the nail that sealed my real estate coffin shut. 

The life of an agent (or the lack of a life)


Goodbye weekends of fun and leisure!

Here’s your week, broken down:

Monday

Mandatory meetings and house tours, all day.  The meeting is useless, which is why you’ll rarely see old-timers there, they veer off after the first house and end up God-knows-where.  They’re probably at the bar.

The tour is fun, though.  You get to hear everyone complain about everyone they work with and everything in the houses.  You get to walk through a stranger’s house and hear your co-workers (proudly displaying their name badges) criticize the homeowner’s choices in everything.  Examples:  What were thinking with this carpet?  Have they ever cleaned this room?  Wow, those are some ugly kids in that picture.  I can’t believe they left Prozac AND Paxil on the sink, what a basket case.

Tuesday

In-house training, or “how to waste 3 solid hours of prime work time.”

Wednesday

“Twilight” open houses.  This means your night is shot.

Thursday

Nothing is required.  This is your weekend, enjoy.  Don’t spend money though, you don’t have it.

Friday

Mailings, client hunting, sitting around.

Saturday

Mandatory training…all freaking day.  Done with the mandatory 15 week training?  Start ongoing training that repeats what they taught you in the 15 week training!

Sunday

No more football games, family picnics, etc., you need to sit in Open Houses.

At times during the week, you’ll get a few 2 hour stints answering the phone.  The idea is that clients will call in looking for an agent because they have a house they want to buy.  I would guess that this has happened once, ever, in the history of real estate.  Most of the time you’re sending calls to the old-timers.

I had a gorgeous Mustang GT when I got this “job”.  I sold it because I was told that you have to take your clients all over the place to view houses.  Out with the sportscar, in with the Volvo station wagon (in the horrid corporate color, of course.)  As it turns out, no one wants to ride with their real estate agent; they want to follow you around in their car.  This is for many reasons:  so they can escape you when they want, so they can talk about the houses without you hearing them (even though you are their trusted advisor)…oh, and they hate you.  I really miss that Mustang.

Support, Or the Lack Thereof


Don’t know a computer from a toaster?  Don’t worry, no one else does.

I don’t know why, but everyone I worked with was horrible with any technology-related tool.  They constantly needed help with the computer, and the PC’s were always down with a virus of some sort.  Somehow I became the IT help desk and spent a fair amount of time telling people why a Nigerian prince was not, in fact, going to send them $75 million.

Your web site.

The company has set up a page for you on their website, you need to fill it with useless things that no one cares about, like “resident of (our general area) for umpteen years” and Realtor and “Member of (Our County) Real Estate Club.   None of this helps them or you, but it does fill the page, even though no one will look at it.  You can put a picture up there too, unless you’re ugly or hideously disfigured.

Office Help


They hate you.

Mailings.  I lucked out with Company Y, they pay for mailings.  This means they provide the marketing materials and they pay the postage for a certain amount to be mailed out.  The database of addresses that you could send mail to was protected by a rotweiler in our office, a man I’ll call Travis.  Travis was tremendously tan year-round, with slicked-back hair, and he was dressed like a 1970’s JC Penny mannequin every day.  I don’t know if he was gay, but I bet his boyfriend was.

A quick story: the first day I met Travis, he was in the middle of a full-fledged hissy fit because someone had stolen his Cross pen.  This is understandable, as it’s not like they sell them at drug stores for a few dollars.  Yes, they do indeed  sell them at drug stores for a few dollars.  The hissy fit lasted an hour, and included our manager sending a phone message to every agent in the office to please return the pen if they had it.

Travis also kept a much-needed eye on the labels that one would use to send out these mailings.  To get them, you had to request the exact number of sheets you needed.  There were 25 on a sheet and if you were printing 68 labels, you would not get 3 sheets.

Black & White and Shades of Grey (alternate title:  Ethics or the Lack Thereof).

Just get the listing:


This means that if you have a person that wants to sell their house for $330,000 but you and everyone know it won’t fetch $250,000, you tell them that you will list it for their price, and then slowly let the price drop when people laugh at the house.


Story:  My wife and I were selling our townhouse for $122,000.  We received a bizarre offer from a woman for $116,600 with $5,000 of seller-assist (that means we get $5,400 less than we’re asking AND give her $5,000 for the privilege of selling our house to her.  Their real estate agent justified this fun math exercise by saying that a townhouse down the street sold for $120,000 with a tremendous amount of seller-assist, so ours was clearly overpriced.  His mistake was in not knowing that we were in fact friends with the owner of the $120,000 townhouse and the house was bought for cash with no seller-assist.  In fact, the buyer gave the owner an extra $25,000 for all his furniture!  Being a jerk, I made sure he knew that he was busted.  A sheepish “oh” was I got back. 

By the way, we ended up getting $124,000 for our townhouse after a bidding war…and NOT to the lowball woman.

Become a “Realtor”?


I am one man.  The Realtor’s Association is a huge conglomerate which no doubt has numerous lawyers on the payroll.  My brother-in-law is a lawyer. …but I still feel outnumbered.  So you’ll notice I only refer to real estate agents, not Realtors.  Keep in mind though, that you have two choices here: you can either become a Realtor or you can become a Realtor.  Yes, you read that right. 

I’ll make no judgments on the value of the organization, except to say that sitting through the most boring training ever nets you a tiny R pin. Nothing says "I’m a success" better than a pin with an R on it…right next to your name tag.

“Referral Status”


Referral Status means that you’ve quit the day-to-day grind of trying to sell/buy houses.  You become inactive, but now if you point someone who is looking to buy or sell a house to your real estate company, you get a percentage of the commission. 

All you have to do is pick up the phone, tell the company their name and telephone number and where they’re looking.  The irony?  NOW it’s payday.  I know people who made more on referrals than I did as a real estate agent, many times over.  Of course, there’s a fee to be in the program, but you didn’t think that was free, did you?  And to stay in “referral status” you need to take ongoing training.

Closing

This is just my story.  Don’t let it change your mind if you want to enter the world of residential real estate.  Heck, I had a former real estate agent tell me what a horrible idea it was and I still went forward with my stupid plan.

I’m sure it’s completely different in YOUR area though, and they’re telling you the truth...

53 comments:

  1. So true and so sad. While I love real estate, there are much easier ways to earn a living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, thanks for the comment! It really is a tough way to make a living, but I'm sure it's a very rewarding career when you're good at it. Best of luck to you and thanks again for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the link in Garths' blog. Although we have a winter home in Phoenix we don't plan to buy again here in BC until the prices come down.

    RE agents take a bit of flak (okay a lot) on his blog, and I thought your entry took a look at the other side of it - and is quite funny as well!!!

    Snowboid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Snowboid, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that you wrote this. I've been in real estate 10 yrs. The first year I worked for one of those blood sucking people mills. Then I went out on my own. It was good money for a while, but I worked ALL THE TIME. The market tanking means that my personal finances have tanked as well. I am fed up with phone calls at all hours 7 days a week while I earn less than the damn poverty level. I have a BS in Chemistry and I am sick to death of stupid people talking down to me. I almost have a job back in the real world of regular hours and benefits. I'm afraid when I get it I will call all my listings and tell them to KISS MY ASS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with ya. I'm just like you, degreed, been doing this 11 years and want to get off of this 24/7/365 merry-go-round. It's just not worth it

      Delete
  6. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

    top agents ranked Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a realtor in Austin, Texas. This post is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Post is absolutely wonderful! We are full of great information and inspiration both for all you need! In addition,
    you want to admire the time and effort put in more information you provide to your blog.

    real estate seven hills NSW news

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and definitely will come back later on. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!
    real estate seven hills NSW news

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing how simple it can be to communicate with people and have them understand a certain topic, you made my day.
    JimZaspel’s Music Profile

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks
    Miami Real Estate for Sale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips for newbie real estate agents. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. real estate agent( they're referred to as that here)were voted the foremost trusty profession within the country..wow...last place, that is pretty spectacular.I have expertise with them we have a tendency to square measure a full time industrial studio. I simply stumbled upon your web log and wished to mention that I even have very enjoyed reading your web log posts. Any way i will be subscribing to your feed and that i hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. terribly open and informative.You have fantastically conferred your thought during this web log post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank to share.It feels nice to read you blog throughly...

    Regards:
    Shubhankar Durva.
    Visit at http://www.durvaa.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you by Googling "being a real estate agent sucks" funny, I have been an agent 11 months sold 4 homes and you are spot on. This business kind of sucks, I think I am gonna go back to school finish my BA and get a MBA.

    Enjoyed reading this:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ironic that all of these comments agree with your points?? I think not. Is it also ironic that Real Estate was ranked #1 happiest and rewarding career in 2013 by Forbes?

    http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45ehffl/no-1-happiest-job-real-estate-agent/

    I'm sure you are going to argue that the results of this survey were from people other than full-time Realtors right? Wrong. Real Estate has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. Sounds like you just couldn't cut it. I'm sure you will probably delete this comment though. Smart people like you with two business degrees wouldn't tarnish their reputation with a comment that disagrees with their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the one who wrote the comment above.

      I will at least say that this was very well written and quite entertaining! Some of your points are SOMEWHAT valid, just a little narrow minded. There are many people who become very successful in Real Estate and don't share these opinions. Nice article though. I didn't mean to come off as offended or harsh.

      Delete
    2. The only comments I delete are obvious spam. I said above that I couldn't cut it and that it was a great career for some people. I do feel it's an accurate portrayal of my experience though and some of the BS that's built into the career as well as a "machine" designed to profit from some that try it.

      Regardless, this mistake in judgment was a step along the way to where I am now, which is the right role for my education and skillset..

      Delete
  17. This article is spot on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. From someone that is jumping from advertising to Real Estate this is a very worthwhile read. Thank you so much.
    Regards Michael
    http://rebox.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  19. I laughed so hard :))))) Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't worry about people tell negatively about your business. Try to review what you have done and see how things would change for good. Be strong as the owner of Property Investment Mackay and make sure that everything will go our way.

    http://www.positivepropertyinvestments.com.au/properties/property-investment-mackay/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed your post. I've been at it for ten years and I was having a tough Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It wasn't that you couldn't cut it John- your resume is like mine , your above this. I am a Trauma ER nurse with 12 years of Healthcare Sales with 3 Fortune 500 companies and I became a Realtor because I am an investor and refuse to pay anyone to do what I can do . We nurses have to multi task like no ones business so this is a joke. And yes, I make it clear to my clients when they can call me- just cut one loose last week. I closed over a million in 6 months and told a "Vet" of the business( he has one of those car stickers BTW) to kiss MY ASS last week. I just do friends a favor and actually sell their home and always look for investments- PLUS I have multiple rentals and can do anything a Property Manager does( another worthless person ) . Congrats on leaving, only 15 out of my 40 person class even passed the final exam! My attitude is I have seen what has made it , I know I can do this. I loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I commend you for telling the truth!! I hate being a realtor.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing this great post. It’s very enlightening. I absolutely love to read informative stuff.
    sell my property without a real estate agent

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a solid yet honest article for people engaging in selling houses. For more great content about real estate-related topics, here's a link http://excasa.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Here I am 8:30 Saturday night, procrastinating. Instead of writing an low-ball offer on a property that is too run-down to qualify for the requisite financing, I too googled "being a Realtor sucks" and found your blog post. 40 years in the business. I am one of those "top producers". I am presently spending more money than I am making, loosing a foothold on a business to a brand new agent who is taking listings hundreds of thousand over priced, and getting price reductions. How stupid am I for being objective and honest with a seller? Good guys finish last in this business. I'm so depressed that I wake up every day with dread. I want so badly to get out of this business. I think it's an addiction. I want to kill myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kill yourself? Over a JOB? Remember, what you do for a living has NOTHING to do with who you are. Who YOU ARE is your family, your friends, your church/temple etc. And the people whose lives you have touched. Wish my dad had known that the day he shot himself when I was in college.

      Delete
  28. I'm starting out in real estate and already I can see the truth in what you wrote, but is any career perfect? Don't they all have their pros and cons? I came from the corporate world which may even be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am just over 11 months as a real estate agent, sold 4 homes, did 5 rental deals, have clients that love me (and some that drove me up a wall) and I am getting referrals, BUT I am starting to really dislike people and I am BLEEDING money. (And it feels like you waste a lot of time even when you try not to with showing buyers who aren't ready to buy, sitting in open houses etc.) Further, I think I have become depressed (just somewhat prone to it anyway). I don't think that I can afford the career any longer really - even with an ok first year. I really liked the article - it somewhat is helping me see that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my friend you are right. I'm a 10 year veteran of the business and know what you mean. There is nothing wrong with you, starting to dislike people is very common (there are many agents I know that make that exact statement, A LOT!) There is great freedom in this job but there really are better ways to make a living.

      Delete
  30. This is spot on. I am a 10 year veteran at RE (7 part time and 3 full time) and you really do need "balls of steel" to sift through all the CRAP that comes along with this career choice. Dishonest and HIGHLY incompetent agents, customers and clients that just sucks, unsupportive brokers just looking to get their cut and everyone else out there with their hand out. Yes it is amazing how much garbage we are fed and promised if we buy this app or that software or enlist this coach or buy that seminar. Most are just blood suckers selling snake oil. I'm getting ready to write a serious book on the realities of this biz and how to really set yourself up for sucesss. I would love to address all these issues, expose the snakes, and give real guidance once and for all. My agency tries selling all sorts of training and coaching and I really wonder if they make more on that than commissions. I think they and more experienced agents prey on the unsuspecting newbie who only wants a fair shot at this. I think many people do fail as agents but I also see some really great and smart folks get out as that are fed up with the working environment. I am for one getting there myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you write your book? I appreciate your desire to expose the snakes and give real guidance. I'm trying to decide if I should become a realtor and I am grateful to hear your perspective. Do you have any further recommendations to help me learn more! I would appreciate real guidance! Thank you!

      Delete
  31. Don't you end up disliking people in every job?
    People are idiots

    ReplyDelete
  32. One of the parts I hate about this business is how there are always those who are trying to get agents (who are not making it) to hang on just a little longer. A new broker approaches them and asks "Are you doing this? Are you doing that?" Come to my firm and all will be right with the world. Sometimes it's okay (especially in real estate) to save yourself! If you need to go and get a traditional job, do so! Can I get an amen?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good to know about this information on selling real estate. I am looking to sell my old property and while searching for a new property, got to know about Dove mountain real estate and loved many properties there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are on here advertising for an Agency? You didn't even read the blog at all, did you? You just validated the points of this article with your shallowness. Incredible.

      Delete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This post is so true! This industry needs some serious modification. Working all the time and not getting paid for it SUCKS! I'm on my way out!

    ReplyDelete
  36. After 13 years in the business I finally hung it up and am now a real W-2 employee with a large corporation (with a great group health insurance plan). Depleted single family inventory levels (super hot market) in my area plus having to buy my insurance off Healthcare.gov were factors in my decision. Change is always hard but sometimes necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree with you. Thank you for sharing the update. It is interesting to have it discussed widely, so that we can gain more objective opinions.
    how to sell your house London & ssell home fast Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  38. Don't worry about people tell negatively about your business. Try to review what you have done and see how things would change for good. Be strong as the owner of Property Investment Mackay and make sure that everything will go our way.

    Regards,
    Empire Inspections and Appraisals

    ReplyDelete
  39. Articles and content in this section of the website are really amazing. Great ideas indeed! I will surely keep these in my mind!
    sell house fast hucknall &buy my property birmingham

    ReplyDelete
  40. Articles and content in this section of the website are really amazing.

    Let my Property in London

    ReplyDelete
  41. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it Smile I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Full Property Management Services

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for sharing this great post. It’s very enlightening. I absolutely love to read informative stuff. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  43. I enjoyed your article! I especially appreciate your candor! You have a great writing style and your article was very informative. Thank you for sharing your experience! So many commenters validated your opinions by their own similar experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Some of this isn't true. I just got my real estate agent license several months back in Wisconsin. I contacted every real estate agency within driving distance and no one will hire me. I even cam up with a couple thousand dollars to pay the up front fees and still no one wanted me. I have prior experience working with people and documents and no one cares. I decided to become a referral agent but people aren't bitting and think its a scam. Can't get hired no matter what I do. Saying that your automatically hired is so wrong. And no one offered to pay for my real estate course and would recruit me I tried that they wouldnt. I did notice though that most of the new real estate agents the local agencies hired recently we're very attractive women. I am a middle aged slightly overweight man. I guess I am not hot enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a larger town for my area too. Many real estate agencies but no luck

      Delete