Monday, November 28, 2011

My mid-life crisis needs defining

I’m going to type this out as I go through the decision process on a new motorcycle in the Spring.  I haven’t even made up my mind between new or used, much less between sportbike, sport-tourer or adventure-type bike, so it’s going to be a long list.

First, some background.  I rode dirtbikes as a kid.  In 2002 at the ripe old age of 32, I picked up a brand new 2002 Honda CBR600F4i and enjoyed it ten times as much as I thought I would.  While I owned that, I picked up a 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i.  At the time, it scared the absolute crap out of me, so as much as I enjoyed riding it I got rid of it.  I just wasn’t technically skilled enough to stay safe on it.  In the years after I got rid of it, I would say my proficiency on the F4i increased enough that I’m ok with a literbike now.  I wasn’t exactly impressed with the fit and finish on the Triumph at the time either, though they seem to have continued to make great strides on that front.  Later on, I had a 1993 CBR600F2 but I got rid of that because it was like riding 2/3 of the F4i, it just wasn’t enough bike for me and I was bored and frustrated with it.

Here are the SP3 and the F2:



 
Most of my riding will take place on my commute.  I ride 50 miles one way via back roads then 2 lane highway and then back roads.  It’s not particularly twisty, but not much is in northwest PA.  I’ll get a couple long rides a year in as well with my pal Dr. Iz and his BMW, and I may get a track day in every year to improve my riding skills with the BPN and SCR crew.  My cross country sabbatical is always in the back of my mind.  Take the northern route west for sightseeing, down the Pacific Coast Highway then southern route home.  That might be a pipe dream but it’ll be more fun in retirement than hanging out with a bunch of pretentious a-holes smoking cigars in a country club.

Honda Repsol CBR1000RR– I wouldn’t get just any Honda 1000, the Repsol is possibly the best looking bike I’ve ever seen.  Used 05/07/09’s can be had for reasonable prices (11’s are still pricey) and people seem to take care of these bikes.  I may have to travel to get the right bike, but they’re certainly out there.  It’s a lot of bike for me but from I understand these are composed bikes that handle extremely well.  This is the equivalent of putting my dream bike into the garage.  I can’t imagine ever getting bored with it.

Honda CBR600RR – I’m a huge CBR600RR fan.  Fast but not ridiculously fast, they handle like a knife and are easy to throw around.  I’d much rather buy this bike new though, as the people that buy them tend to flog them.  That will be expensive, as the price of new CBR’s has popped over $11,000. Southern Honda in Tennessee usually has some good deals on them though, but that means driving down and trailering back or flying down and riding back.  That has the potential to eliminate the cost savings.

Honda RVT1000R RC51 SP-2 – this is an amazing bike but the torque and speed might be a bit too much for me on a daily basis.  Hard to take this off the list based on its sound and the phenomenal look.  Well-kept, low mileage examples are still around.

Honda CBR600F4i – I already had one of these, an 02, so I feel like I can eliminate this from the hunt already.  It’s a fantastic bike, but I just don’t like the idea of rebuying something I already had. Plus the only ones I would want are the non-banana seat 01-03’s, and that’s getting a little long in the tooth.  Here's my old beauty:

Suzuki GSX-R750 – as I understand it, this bike is the best of both worlds in sportbikes.  Handles like a 600, yet has power that brings it closer to a 1000 without the liter’s added weight.  It has reputation as a squid bike, but that’s really with people that don’t have a clue, and since when do I care what people think?  This wouldn’t be a great bike to buy used though either unless I knew the owner, because they tend to get flogged as well.  And a new GSX-R750 is big $.  I've ridden a buddy's 750 though and was duly impressed.

BMW K1200GT – I just stumbled across this bike in the used inventory section of European Motorcycles of Pittsburgh.  I’ve met the owner, Lee, a few times and he seems like a good guy.  He always cuts good deals to the BPN boys too.  The bike looks hefty.  Wouldn’t be too much fun on the track but I’ll bet the comfort level is through the roof.  BMW engines run forever too, when maintained.

BMW R1200GS Adventure - adventure bikes are incredibly cool.  I defy anyone to watch Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman traverse the globe in Long Way Round (and Long Way Down) and not want to ride with them, despite the trials and tribulations.  I have no plans to globe-trot, but these are bikes that can comfortably handle my 100 mile/day commute and not leave me beat up.  This bike is ginormous though, I’m not even sure I can get my toes down at a stop sign.

BMW F800GS – this is the 1200’s little brother and could be a great option.  Still awfully pricey but used ones are out there for “decent” prices, it’ll just require a fly-n-ride purchase.

Suzuki DLR650 – this bike and a couple of its competitors are viable options but are lacking in the horsepower department.  I could see getting bored pretty quickly.  Well farkled used bikes are easy to come by though.

That’s a lot of typing for me to be no closer to a decision.  Heck, I’ll probably ADD to the list.  Good thing I have some time to decide.

What would YOU do?

More to follow…




2 comments:

  1. Go for a CBR1000rr repsol edition.........'05 or '07.

    The best looking bike ever!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rene,the only argument I have against a Repsol 1000RR is the price tag and maybe the availability. Hopefully a cherry one is available in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete